Thursday, April 2, 2009

Greenfield Village Blog

Well, I now have every structure that is inside of the open-air museum known as Greenfield Village up on my Greenfield Village blog.
http://gfv1929.blogspot.com/
I even have some buildings listed that used to be in the Village that have been removed.
By reading my blog, folks who have never been to GFV can take a tour of the Village in the comfort of their own home. I have included loads of pictures that I have taken (except for a very few) and have included as complete a text about each building as I could find. Some have quite a bit of info while others not so much.

And I plan to add more pictures (as the opportunity arises for me to do so) and text, as I gather more information in my research.
Next for the blog I plan to highlight some of the events held annually, such as Civil War Remembrance, Holiday Nights, Hallowe'en, Fall Harvest, Spring Planting, 4th of July, &c., again, with a myriad of photographs.
For those of you who have never been to Greenfield Village, it is truly a one-of-a-kind history experience where one can immerse themselves into a time long gone. It is where one can walk the streets and visit the actual homes of the Wright Bros., Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Noah Webster, and William McGuffey (no, they didn't actually all live in the same neighborhood, as many visitors think. Mr. Ford just collected the homes and had them moved here). It is where one can see period dressed docents giving living history lessons in many of the homes (Firestone Farm and the Daggett House are two of the best). It is where in an 1850's atmosphere one can dine on period correct food of the season. It is where one can learn of everyday life as it was lived in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries while strolling amongst the more than 80 structures.

OK, OK...I know I sound like I work for the place - I do not. Nor do I get any kind of pay for my blog or promotion. In fact, aside from a couple of docents, I'm sure very few who work at or run the Village are even aware that I have a blog dedicated to it. I just love the place and feel that other like-minded folk would enjoy either visiting my blog or coming to the Village in person.
If a personal visit is a possibility, Greenfield Village is located in the City of Dearborn, Michigan, about 15 minutes outside of Detroit.

.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Wow, this is great! I really appreciate the time you've put into this. I just wrote a blog post about Greenfield Village - do you mind me linking your blog to it? Such a cool resource, since so many people never have the chance to visit such a big historical location!

Historical Ken said...

Thank you Bella.
Yes, please do!