Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Free Games For May - See Emily Play

On a musical note, Richard Wright, keyboardist for Pink Floyd, has passed away. He died of cancer Monday, September 15.
Now why would an amateur social historian care for something like this?
Well, in my youth, Pink Floyd was only a handful of groups that I tried to collect every album they released (the others being the Beatles, Moody Blues, and Led Zeppelin).
And of all the albums that Pink Floyd released, my favorite was Relics - A Bizarre Collection of Antiques and Curios http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relics_(Pink_Floyd_album)
Although it was not an "official" album - it was a collection of sorts of early singles and some album tracks. But, it had such great psychedelic tunes as See Emily Play, Bike, Paint Box, and Careful With That Axe Eugene.
From there I picked up other early Floyd albums (Saucerful of Secrets and Piper at the Gates of Dawn), then continued on all the way through the LP Animals. From the Wall on, I just didn't care very much for them. Yes, it's true - I know I'm a rarity here. I'm just not a Wall fan. Nor am I a fan of pretty much anything after that album. The music just didn't sound the same - it didn't have the feel of the earlier Pink Floyd albums. Oh, yeah, there was Comfortably Numb, and that was a fine song indeed, but the rest of it....not for me.
However, something I never really realized until very recently: During the recording of the Wall, Richard Wright was first fired and then relegated to the job of studio musician, never fully allowed to rejoin the group of which he helped to co-found. Roger Waters' ego, from what I understand.
Could the firing of Wright (which was wrong) be the reason the later Pink Floyd albums did nothing for me?
Or is it just a coincidence?
Whatever the case, another part of my youth left with the death of Richard Wright.
We still got the music, but it won't be the same.

By the way, if you want to hear (and see) the early Pink Floyd I love so much, check out their (I believe) 1st music video from 1967 of my favorite Pink Floyd tune, See Emily Play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BptZA3qWBk


.

No comments: